Prep Information for Tableau Track
- Watch this short, introductory video that answers the following questions:
- What is Tableau?
- Should I choose the Tableau track?
- How should I prepare for the Tableau Track?
- What will we cover in the Tableau workshop?
- Acquire a license for the software. You must register with Tableau to get access to the software. Please do this early. I would recommend giving yourself 7-10 days. Follow the steps below to acquire a license for the software:
- Visit https://www.tableau.com/academic/students to begin the set-up process.
- Click the orange “Get Tableau for Free” button, which will open a grey side bar on the right
- In the side bar, you must enter your country, legal name, CSUCI student email, school email, and select “learning on own”
- Once you submit this information and it is verified, you will be sent an email with a product key and instructions to download the software.
You must do these steps in order to access the software that you will need for the Tableau Workshop.
- Watch this 10-minute video to gain some background knowledge about the software.
- Watch this 20-minute video to gain some basic familiarity with the software’s user interface, terminology, and basic workflows. Tableau is a robust software and there are hundreds of hours of tutorials available on YouTube. Feel free to watch as many of these as you want; however, for the purposes of our workshop, you will want to familiarize yourself with tools for filtering, exploring, and plotting your data.